Analysis-China's massive older chip tech build up raises U.S. concern – Yahoo Finance

By Jane Lanhee Lee, Josh Horwitz and Alexandra Alper
OAKLAND, Calif./SHANGHAI/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – China’s largest chip maker SMIC is ramping up production of a decade-old chip technology, key to many industries' supply chains, setting off alarm bells in the United States and prompting some lawmakers to try to stop them.
The United States and allied nations could further step up restrictions if China announces a trillion yuan ($144 billion) support package for its chip industry, as Reuters exclusively reported on Tuesday, said TechInsights' chip economist Dan Hutcheson.
Starting with the Trump administration, the United States has been tightening the noose around China's high-tech ambitions. It cut off the world's largest telecommunications firm Huawei Technologies from the U.S. market and technologies, as well as cut off air supply to China's advanced chip making through a series of rules this year.
But why worry about older chip technology?
China, which in 2020 had 9% of the global chip market, has a track record of dominating key technologies by flooding the market with cheaper products and wiping out global competition, say China watchers.
They did it with solar panels and 5G telecom equipment, and could do it with older technology chips, said Matt Pottinger, former Deputy National Security Advisor of the United States during the Trump administration who has been studying chip policy at the Hoover Institution.
“It would give Beijing coercive leverage over every country and industry – military or civilian – that depend on 28 nanometer chips, and that's a big, big chunk of the chip universe," he said.
“28 nanometer” refers to a chip technology commercially used since 2011. It is still widely used in automotive, weapons and the explosive category of internet of things gadgets, said Hutcheson.
Hutcheson, who has been monitoring chip production capacity for four decades, said the concern is that Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp and other chipmakers in China could use government subsidies to sell chips at a low price. And a possible new round of financial support from Beijing would increase chip production even further.
“The Chinese could just flood the market with these technologies,” he said. “Normal companies can't compete, because they can't make money at those levels.”
U.S. LAWMAKERS PUSHING AGAINST SMIC
Those concerns have pushed some lawmakers to use legislation for setting the defense budget hold back SMIC.
While the measure is weaker than what was initially proposed, this week U.S. Senators are expected to pass the annual National Defense Authorization Act 2023 that includes a section barring the U.S. government from using chips from SMIC and two other Chinese memory chip makers. It is not clear what impact the restriction, which kicks in five years after it becomes law, will have on SMIC.
Founded in 2000 with backing from Beijing, SMIC has long struggled to break into the ranks of the world’s leading chip manufacturers.
But it is a giant in older technology, including chips that regulate power flows in electronics. And its revenue was close to $2 billion in the third quarter this year, roughly double the same period last year on the back of the global chip shortage.
SMIC FILLING SUPPLY GAP
With U.S. export controls making it impossible to produce advanced chips, SMIC is doubling down on mature technology chips and has announced four new facilities, or fabs, since 2020. When those come online, it would more than triple the company’s output, estimates Samuel Wang, Gartner chip analyst. He said there is a huge ramp up in new chip fabs across China.
“All this will start to have an impact from early 2024 and will be full blown by 2027,” said Wang, adding the chip supply increase will put downward pressure on chip prices.
The importance of older chip technology hit the industry in the face in 2021 as a shortage of those chips prevented manufacturing of millions of cars and consumer electronics.
Mark Li, Bernstein Research’s chip analyst in Asia, said the company is becoming a formidable competitor to Taiwan's UMC Microelectronics Corp and U.S.-headquartered GlobalFoundries Inc.
“SMIC has been much more willing to add capacity than other fabs at the low-end, and especially in this shortage we’ve seen in the past two years,” he says. “It’s not an issue now…but who knows, maybe in a few years there will be another shortage and capacity will be a big problem.”
($1 = 6.9430 Chinese yuan renminbi)
(Reporting By Jane Lanhee Lee in Oakland, Calif and Josh Horwitz in Shanghai, and Alexandra Alper in Washington D.C.; Editing by Josie Kao)
STORY: Two months after violence broke out at China's consulate in Manchester…… Beijing has removed six of its officials from Britain, including the consul general himself.The UK foreign minister, James Cleverly, said the removal of the officials..came after a police request to interview them over the incident.The October protest took place on the first day of China's party congress..Demonstrators had gathered outside the consulate in northwest England to protest President Xi's rule.Video showed one of the protesters, Bob Chan, being dragged inside the grounds of the consul and beaten. Chan later gave a press conference and said he suffered bruising to his eye, head, neck and all over his back.In a written statement released Wednesday, Cleverly said:"I am disappointed that these individuals will not be interviewed or face justice".Later he outlined to British broadcasters what action had been taken:"We all saw the disturbing footage of the incident outside the Chinese Consulate in Manchester. In response to that, we initiated a process based on our adherence to the rule of law. "In response to our request, the Chinese government have now removed from the UK those officials, including the Consul General himself."But the Chinese embassy has hit back, saying Britain had failed to protect its staff, adding it launched its own representations with Britain over the incident.It said the consul general had returned to China under a: "normal rotation of Chinese consular officials".Britain and China's relationship has soured in recent years,over issues such as Hong Kong and the treatment of the Uyghur Muslim minority in Xinjiang.
My husband is 73 and beginning to have health issues, and I have no idea what to do regarding finances and Social Security, etc. Who should I be looking for to help me navigate this? To find one, look for an adviser who is fee-only and consider a registered investment adviser or a certified financial planner. Use a resource like the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors to search for fee-only advisers, recommends certified financial planner Joe Favorito at Landmark Wealth Management.
Ex-FTX spokesman Kevin O'Leary told a Senate committee Wednesday he believes FTX rival Binance put the fallen crypto exchange "out of business intentionally."
Authorities are searching for a man accused of two shootings that happened days apart in Philadelphia and New York City that they believe were completely random acts.
Recently divorced 41-year-old Toby Fleishman dives into app-based dating with the kind of success he never had in his youth. Then his ex-wife disappears leaving him with their two young kids and no hint of where she is or whether she plans to return.
Ross DiMattei reports
Runaway inflation and rising interest rates threaten to blunt corporate revenue growth and profitability, so many investors have responded by exiting the stock market. As a result, the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq Composite have fallen sharply this year, tumbling into bear market territory. It may seem counterintuitive, but economic uncertainty has actually created a buying opportunity for patient investors.
Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) is one of the best-known companies and stocks in the world. Apple's stock price has fallen 18% since the beginning of the year. Here are three things about Apple that smart investors know.
(Bloomberg) — The US government is blacklisting Yangtze Memory Technologies Co., Shanghai Micro Electronics Equipment Group Co. and dozens of other Chinese tech companies, ratcheting up a trade conflict between the world’s two largest economies.Most Read from BloombergTrump Hawks Superhero NFT Trading Cards as Crypto Universe ImplodesIs Putin Finally Getting Smart About His Ukraine Disaster?Elon Musk’s Tesla Share Sales Approach the $40 Billion MarkUS Stocks Drop for a Second Day; Oil Snaps Ral
Morgan Stanley analyst Erik Woodring says Apple consumers won't ditch the App Store even if there are cheaper alternatives.
Search giant has faced questions since rival chatty AI became vastly popular
The U.S. tech giant is set to lose out on seven million smartphone sales due to a lack of availability, according to UBS analysts.
One irony of Microsoft battle to acquire  Activision Blizzard is that the deal’s fate may hang on the company’s ability to convince regulators—and now judges—that it has moved beyond the Xbox. Microsoft was a latecomer to the videogame scene, having launched the first Xbox console in late 2001—years after Sony Group and Nintendo had established strong businesses with their own videogame devices. Fears about what Microsoft might do with “Call of Duty” now hang over the company’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard, owner and publisher of the franchise.
PayPal's (PYPL) partnership with ConsenSys is likely to expand its customer reach in the cryptocurrency space.
Here’s a list of the best smartwatches you can buy, plus advice on how to choose one.
The tech industry's troubles will follow it into the new year.
Apple (AAPL) launches a new app to attract customers to its various products like iPhone, Mac book and iPad.
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA) lost access to some of the most advanced chip designs after British chip designer Arm Ltd gave in to the U.S. and U.K. chip embargo against China. Softbank Group Corp (OTC: SFTBF) (OTC: SFTBY) owned chipmaker concluded that the countries would not approve the sale of its latest Neoverse V series due to its high performance, the Financial Times reports. The move impacts Alibaba’s T-Head chip unit and other Chinese groups. Neoverse V falls under Wassenaar
Apple is planning to allow third-party app stores on its iPhones and iPads in a move to comply with European Union regulations that are trying to monitor gatekeeping practices.
Microsoft Corp (NASDAQ: MSFT) President Brad Smith had offered to sign a legally-binding consent decree with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission to provide "Call of Duty" games to rivals, including Sony Group Corp (NYSE: SONY) for a decade. The rejected offer came just before the FTC prosecuted Microsoft for blocking the $69-billion takeover bid for video game publisher Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI), Reuters reports. Also Read: Activision Explored Offering World of Warcraft in China After

source

Related Articles